When it comes to project management software, there are usually some different types that you can be able to find. They include:
This is the type of software that can be able to be accessed through the extranet or the intranet by making use of a web browser and tends to come with all the advantages and disadvantages of a web application. Some of the important features of this type of software include:
- There is ease of access regarding controls.
- The project information cannot be accessed online.
- You can be able to access it from any other computer even without having the software installed.
- The graphical capabilities of this software are limited compared to that of desktop apps.
- You only need to have one software version of it, and you also have to maintain this same installation.
- It has multiple user facilities.
This is the type of project management software that can give different users a high graphical interface which is also very responsive. When it comes to desktop applications, you need to understand that their data are mainly stored on the local file even though you may still be able to collaborate it between different users which will enable you to store the data in a kind of central area. When you have a simple project plan that is file-based, you can easily be able to share it with different users provided you have stored it in a given network drive. Also, you need to make sure that only one user is going to be able to access it at one particular time.
This is the type that tends to work on the basis that it is only going to be one person who will need to edit the project plan at a single time. This type of creative project management software is best used in small companies and organizations or in cases whereby it is only a few people who are involved in the project planning process. Many different desktop applications that many people tend to make use of usually fall under this category.
This is the type of system which is a combination of project planning with project management as well as the many different aspects of the operations of a given organization or company. For example, there are some different things that can take place here like;
- Making the list of project customers to become a module for customer relationship management.
- Bug tracking of different issues
- Each person involved in the project plan taking their task list